How to Deep Clean Your Dishwasher & Washing Machine
Tuesday, January 19th, 2021
Are you trying to start 2021 off on the right foot? Let us help you finally begin all of those household chores that you have been putting off!
We know doing things for the first time can be daunting, especially when you’re just not sure where to start. Well, let us walk you through the best ways to give some of your home appliances the deep clean they need during this new year.
That fantastic machine in your kitchen that cleans all of your dishes for you also needs to be cleaned itself. As time goes on, soap scum and food debris build up in your dishwasher and end up becoming a breeding ground for germs, which reduces your appliance efficiency.
So, how do you clean your dishwasher? Here are three simple steps:
1. Clear the drain: First, remove the bottom dish rack so you can get better access. Then inspect the dishwasher drain and remove any gunk or food that is caught that might impact your dishwasher’s efficiency.
2. Put vinegar in the dishwasher: Start with an empty dishwasher and place a cup of white vinegar in a dishwasher-safe container on the upper rack. Run the dishwasher on a hot water cycle. This washes away all grease and grime and also removes musty odors.
3. Do a baking soda rinse: Sprinkle one cup of baking soda across the floor of the dishwasher. Run a short hot-water cycle. The dishwasher will then be stain-free and smell as fresh as ever!
It is recommended to do this once a month to keep your dishwasher in top shape.
Has your washing machine developed an unpleasant smell? The last thing you want is the machine that washes your clothes to smell anything but fresh! Here are three steps to keep your washing machine clean and smelling only like detergent:
1. Clean the filter: The debris filter is there to protect your washing machine’s pump by stopping lint, tissues, coins, and dirt in its track. That means that it’s a place where germs collect overtime. It is also warm and humid, so it provides an ideal breeding ground for dodgy smells to infiltrate the machine… and your laundry. To avoid this, empty it frequently and remove all of the fluff and dirt.
2. Clean the drum: Even if the inside of your washing machine looks sparkling clean, it probably isn’t. There are lots of nooks and crannies where germs can hide. The best thing to do is to run an empty wash every few months. It is recommended to pour 500mls into the drum directly and put it on the hottest wash that your washing machine will allow. This will kill germs while also removing odors.
3. Prevent nasty smells from coming back: Since this machine’s damp conditions are perfect for mold to grow, it is essential to take preventative measures. Leaving the door open slightly once a wash is finished allows the air to circulate around the drum and stop germs from spreading and causing unwanted smells.
At Rosner’s Appliances, we are here to help when you need to clean your machines as well as when it is time to replace them! Contact our appliance store in West Palm Beach
for all your appliance needs today. New year, new you, and new appliances!