Thursday, May 31st, 2018
Step foot in almost any kitchen in America and you will be faced with a topic that can easily make or break a relationship: How to PROPERLY load the dishwasher.
Today’s high quality dishwashers are not only a worthwhile investment, but surprisingly, are also much friendlier on the environment than hand-washing dishes. At Rosner’s we carry an array of top-notch, Energy Star-rated dishwashers to suit your needs, and we can help you select the best option for your home.
Whether you’re a "tines up" or "tines down" kind of person, here are some important tips that will help you get the most out of this time-saving appliance:
- Angle for optimal cleaning. Cups and smaller plates are best placed on the top rack. Arrange plates and bowls so that they’re facing the middle of the rack, and if possible, angle cups and mugs on a slight tilt to discourage water pooling on top.
- Larger goes lower. Bigger, less fragile items should be placed on the lower rack to take full advantage of the powerful jet spray.
- The ups and downs of flatware This item is up for debate, but according to many manufacturers, forks and spoons should be in the basket placed handle down while knives should be placed handle up for safety purposes. Speaking of knives, butter knives are the only knives that should be placed in the dishwasher as the heat and moisture can dull and warp high-quality knives over time.
- Leave some room for work to be done. Sure, it’s important to fully load your dishwasher before running if you’re looking for maximum efficiency, but make sure that items aren’t crammed or crowded. In order to be cleaned properly, water and heat should be able to circulate all items. Don’t forget to check that the dishwasher sprayer arm can fully rotate and isn’t being blocked by larger items.
- When it comes to detergent, age matters. It’s tempting to take advantage of sales and deals on dishwashing detergent and pods, but try not to keep a supply longer than 2 months as it can lose its efficacy. The fresher the detergent, the better the results.
If you want to make sure that you’re getting the most out of your dishwasher, follow these tips and you’ll end up with a spotless reputation in the kitchen. Now, time to train everyone else in your household!
Source for tips: https://www.partselect.com/JustForFun/Dishes-Done-Right.aspx